Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 32: Yes, I Supplement!

Good morning, just with a mini bowl of pretzels and hummus. It is surprisingly enough a very good combination.

I lost my first few page likes today. Yesterday I posed with a bottle of Thyro-Drive and I lost a few likes. I'm not sure if it's due to that or just a coincidence. But I wanted to make some things clear from the get-go: Yes, I supplement for weight loss. No, I'm not ashamed of it.

I would probably be one of the first people to discredit the supplements I take had I not experienced it myself. I heard it on the radio. Yes, they advertise on the radio and they do it on practically every radio station in St Louis. I was naturally cynical of anything I heard on the radio, just like Smilin Bob and everything else they put on the radio these days. My trip to S2 had nothing at all to do with supplements but to grab a bumper sticker offered by my absolute favorite radio show to listen to in the morning. I went to the Chesterfield location of Supplement Superstores first and was absolutely surprised at how nice and friendly everyone was. I was almost 30 lbs heavier at that point, and had gotten severely snarked at the last time I went into one of those type of shops. They offered me a free water and sent me home with some samples.

I would have never taken them if I hadn't had a review blog at the time. Still kind of depressed at the time, I said, "Well, if they don't work at least they'll finish the job." Not the best attitude to have, but hey, sometimes you just feel that way. I decided to take them, and it totally... well, it totally did nothing at first.

"But Shelly," you say, "It's a diet pill!" Hold your horses. It's a diet supplement, and it doesn't work if you're not willing to put the work in. You can't just take a pill and have all your worries and weight troubles go away. It's not realistic. It simply puts you in the right frame of mind so if you want to work out, than you can.

Along with the rest of my supplements and one prescribed med, this was very helpful in curing a mild chemical imbalance. Yes, I said cured, in that as long as I take all as prescribed I have no more symptoms. I was able to drop all my meds except one, which I take because it's just a pain to get off of. It didn't do anything for my weight loss and I didn't mind at first.

But one day I just decided that enough was enough. After seeing some things and experiencing some things, I got in the gym and worked my butt off. I'm paying my way through college and plan on getting a personal trainer certification in a few months. I just did a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

So yes, I supplement. Yes, I'm proud of it and all I've accomplished. Yes, it is controversial. But no, I'm not going to stop and let my life go to pot just cause someone gets upset. It works for me, and I'm going to keep doing it. And it may just help you too. So don't judge. You're just jealous of my awesomeness. ;-)

One of the reasons I never settled.


-----
In other news, going to the Organization Expo at the college today. I want to get hooked up with the running club and learn about some more running clubs in the area. I'm think of going back to True Runner as well because they have some fun runs and things that don't look like they'd kill me if I did em. :-) I love the running community and enjoy all the cheerfulness and good-naturedness that seems to be a part of it.

Well, it's class time, we're doing density in the lab. No worries, I am plenty dense about chemistry so I'll fit right in. Have a wonderful day all!

2 comments:

  1. I supplement too! I use Slimquick, the fruity powder they have that you add to water. It gets me a little more energetic and awake, and it really does help me to feel more satisfied on less food. Like you said, I still have to put in the work, but it's helping. And I don't think anyone should have to apologize for any tool they've found that helps them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I've been using BMR Bliss and Thyro-Drive since May. I love them, they have completely changed my mood. I think I have had more benefit from the shift in mood than the actual WL supplement part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete